For Immediate Release
July 7, 2016
WHO: State government leaders from 40 states and the U.S. Territorial Island of Guam will gather in Nashville, Tennessee on July 14-17 for the annual summer meeting of the National Association of Secretaries of State (NASS).
NASS President and Louisiana Secretary of State Tom Schedler will preside over the meeting.
Tennesee Secretary of State Tre Hargett will serve as the state host for this event.
WHAT: NASS conference sessions will address current programs and state policy topics in elections, business services, state heritage, digital government, international relations and more. On July 17, the association will also induct its new slate of officers for the 2016-2017 cycle, featuring the installation of Connecticut Secretary of State Denise W. Merrill as NASS President.
A full meeting agenda is available online HERE.
WHEN: July 14-17, 2016
WHERE: Renaissance Nashville, 611 Commerce Street, Nashville, TN 37203
CONFERENCE HIGHLIGHTS: Bipartisan discussions on state programming and policy initiatives for 2016-2017, including presidential election preparations and efforts to protect small business against business identity theft and fraud.
- FRIDAY, JULY 15 (9:00 AM - 9:45 AM): NASS Voter Participation Committee | Featuring presentations on the Georgia Secretary of State's High School Ambassador Program and effective ballot design
- FRIDAY, JULY 15 (10:00 AM - 11:00 AM): NASS Remote Notarization Task Force Meeting | Featuring a presentation by the Virginia Secretary of the Commonwealth and remote notarization demonstrations
- FRIDAY, JULY 15 (11:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Innovations & Solutions from the States | National finalists for the NASS IDEAS Award (Colorado, Montana, Nevada and West Virginia Secretary of State offices) showcase their innovative state programs and services
- FRIDAY, JULY 15 (12:15 PM - 1:15 PM): Luncheon featuring remarks by U.S. Senator Bob Corker (R-TN)
- FRIDAY, JULY 15 (1:30 PM - 2:30 PM): Joint Session with National Association of State Election Directors | Media and public outreach practices for the 2016 presidential election featuring U.S. Election Assistance Commission and state election office representatives
- FRIDAY, JULY 15 (2:45 PM - 4:15 PM): NASS Elections Committee Meeting | 2016 election preparations discussion, and timeline for this year's Electoral College proceedings
- SATURDAY, JULY 16 (9:00 AM - 10:30 AM): NASS Business Services Committee | Featuring Companies House Chief Executive Tim Moss discussing the UK's New Public Registry of Beneficial Owners and Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett detailing how the Volunteer State is fighting back against corporate records scams
- SATURDAY, JULY 16 (10:45 AM - 12:00 PM): NASS Business Identity Theft Task Force | States share strategies for fighting business identity theft, with a featured presentation by the Colorado Secretary of State's office
- SATURDAY, JULY 16 (12:15 PM - 1:45 PM): Luncheon featuring remarks by Mr. Jack Soden, President & CEO of Elvis Presley Enterprises
- SATURDAY, JULY 16 (2:00 PM - 2:45 PM): Workshop on International Election Observation for November 2016 | Featuring U.S. Ambassador to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) Daniel Baer
- SATURDAY, JULY 16 (3:00 PM - 3:45 PM): Showcase of four Secretary of State offices (Arkansas, Alabama, Connecticut, Minnesota) recognizing public service achievements through the NASS Medallion Award
- SATURDAY, JULY 16 (4:00 PM - 5:00 PM): Workshop on ways for states to join forces on their "Safe at Home" Address Confidentiality Programs
- SUNDAY, JULY 17 (12:15 PM - 1:45 PM): NASS Leadership Luncheon featuring induction of new president and national officers for 2016-2017
- FRIDAY, JULY 15 - SUNDAY, JULY 17: An expo featuring 20 companies showcasing products and services that assist state government agencies, including the latest technology and tools
TO CONFIRM ATTENDANCE: Contact Kay Stimson, 202-624-3528 | firstname.lastname@example.org.
TO DOWNLOAD CONFERENCE APP: Download the free conference mobile app MyEvents2Go, available for Apple, Android or Windows-based mobile devices.
ABOUT NASS: Founded in 1904, NASS is the oldest, nonpartisan professional organization of public officials in the U.S. Membership is open to the 50 states and all U.S. territories. NASS serves as a medium for the exchange of information between states and fosters cooperation in the development of public policy. NASS also offers two membership sections for state government professionals: Administrative Codes & Registers (ACR) and Notary Public Administrators (NPA).
MEDIA CONTACT: Kay Stimson, Dir. of Communications | 202.624.3528 |email@example.com